Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Grandparents

I have a few leftover thoughts from the thank you blog.

I got thinking about grandparents in particular. (You can also insert aunts, uncles or anyone that is close to you)

Grandparents LOVE to get thank yous. They LOVE to get cards or calls...anytime... or all the time... from anyone!!!

Grandparents usually have some time on their hands especially when they are over 70 ish (I am trying to be careful here as I am 55 with 9 grandchildren)

I think it is rough to grow old...I have been watching it first hand and I see a person who has worked their whole life, someone who has made it happen, the one who brought home the bacon now sitting on the side lines and many times even made to feel like they never really even played the game. Ugh I dont even like typing this.

What can we do?

Grandparents can be invited to the activities that the family members are involved in...soccer practice music recitals games debates plays etc
Grandparents can be asked their opinions.
Grandparents can read to little ones or listen to them read.
They can play scrabble, Uno and checkers.
Grandparents have a wealth of wisdom and life under their belts.
I watched 4 generations out for breakfast the other day and the oldest woman ate totally in silence as her daughter and granddaughter talked non stop (the baby was in the carseat). She was totally left out of the conversation. It made me sad...
I can see how it happens....many times they will not speak up or perhaps they have not been able to "hear" the conversation so they don't join in. It is up to us to involve them.

We MUST remember that we will ALL be there sometime, Lord willing. How are our children going to respond to our forgetfulness, slowness and lack of ability in various areas? Well I think it is best if we can teach from example. I am not great at it but I am trying.

One place that has been difficult is dealing with the reality of it all. Sometimes we just want to live in that state called Denial. It's not happening...if I don't call or visit I won't know and thus its not happening.

Well I need to go and write some thank yous.. AND call my mom!!!

Blessings on you all!
Marnie

No comments: