Total Pageviews

Monday, November 5, 2007

#5 Those Nite Time Blues

SHHHHHH it’s quiet….Finally all the kids are in bed… when
Moooommmmmm? I’m thirsty, I need to go to the bathroom, I want you to pray with me, I’m scared, my finger hurts, I can’t sleep, Kara is looking at me, I need to tell you something…..
On and on and on it goes….Is there a remedy? YES!!

Remember in email #1 we hit on that eye to eye communication.
Well it all begins there.
We are usually tired by this time of nite…our patience is short…the day is ending .. Finally Maybe you can sit down….and then it starts.
Paint your own picture….how does it go for you.?

Now start all over….perhaps a habit has formed in your household where this type of behavior happens each and every night. Sit for a minute and think about it …. What is actually happening?

In the morning after the kids are dressed and you have your day underway ..set down with him/her/them. Speaking in a calm voice explain what has been happening every night . Tell the kiddo’s that the routine is going to change. Take your evening back!
"Becky, mom has been noticing that every nite when I put you in bed you get up 2 or more times for different things. I want you to know that from now on when I tuck you in bed I’m only going to do it once. I don’t want to hear from you again until morning. Do you understand? " ( This you will repeat numerous times during the day(s)) At nite get Becky ready for bed… do it right….make sure she is clean and has gone to the bathroom, had a drink, been prayed for etc.

This will take more than 5 minutes. .I personally think the kids usually keep getting our attention because we’ve rushed them off too quickly. Cover all the bases and remind them AGAIN that once they are in bed it’s for good. A reward for staying in bed is great to give the next day. Whether you’ve told them or not ….A poster on the fridge with stars or a snack or some alone time with Mom….whatever, you will know what is best

Now if Becky stays in bed but Tommy gets out once Becky gets the reward NOT Tommy. He is not scolded he just notices the special attention that his sister is getting and he will try harder the next nite. I realize there are many scenarios to be had here but I hope that you are getting the picture.
Little ones need to be in bed at a relatively early hour. I know some parents let the kids stay up late so that they can sleep in the next morning but that can get all out of wack. You are best up early, getting the day started and then the kids napping at 1 after lunch . All my kids had a quiet time up until they started school. When I hear someone say "Oh he hasn’t napped since he was 2….I know that simply a habit has been formed.

Remember YOU are the one who sets the rules. Whatever works best for you is best. Children were not born to rule even though in many cases they are doing it.

Again any question email me.

Previous email can be seen on the blog at www.comeinandrest.com
I pray that these words are helping in some small way!
Blessings!
Marnie

No comments: