Total Pageviews

Friday, November 30, 2007

#13 It's Dinner Time!!!

Well today I spoke with a Mom/friend that asked if I would speak on meals, meal planning and shopping.

Here goes!

First. I have never been someone who goes to the Market every day. I believe that you spend alot more money that way. Even when there were 14 of us at home I shopped ONCE a week PERIOD. Yes I had 2 fridges and a freezer but my family is not the norm. I would buy 8 gallons of milk at a time, 12 lbs of apples and 4 bags of oranges etc.... it was a major job but I would still do it the same way.
When things were working the smoothest I would make a menu for the week. This works very nicely and cuts the guessing out and you don't cook or not cook depending on how hungry you feel. In the morning you simple take out the ingredients, or even the nite before if its going into the crock pot. Here are some menu items that you might want to add to your weekly meals.

Meat loaf mashed potatoes veg
baked potato with boccoli and cheese, chili, taco meat etc
Baked beans with hotdogs or ham coleslaw and cornbread
baked porkchops
fish
tacos
salad with steak tips
chicken drumstix and rice
breakfast for dinner egg sandwiches, pancakes, frenchtoast
chicken divan
hamburgers
meatball subs
spagetti
american chopsuey
chili
soup
stew
chowder
turkey
baked ham
boiled dinner
pot roast
roast beef
mac and cheese
pigs in a blanket
subs
hot turkey sandwiches
tuna/cheese melt
hotsausage


At one time I had 6 weeks of menus ahead without duplicating
Remember to leave a day here and there for leftovers

We always had "stay up nite" on Fridays ..when the kids would have dinner, get their pjs on and we would put a movie on. Soda (once a week) popcorn etc and would be the treat and Dad would carry the kids to bed when they fell asleep

Sunday nite was "silly supper nite". When everyone was ready we would make platters of fun food....
stuffed celery
crackers with cheese
pineapple
apples with peanut butter
popcorn
sardines and crackers
pepperoni slices
orange segments
we would eat usually in front of a disney movie or something like that. It was relaxed and everyone looked forward to the day.

Monday thru Sat we have always eated together AT THE TABLE. No one goes to their room, to the tv or says they are not hungry. Dinner is served once in the day and if you miss it you miss it. Sports took some toll on this as the kids grew but I would do whatever I could to work around it. I grew up around a "supper table" and my children have as well. I believe it is very important and the lack of has had an affect on the family.
Food is to be shared with fellowship. It is a time of relaxing and talking. Practice it....You can have it too.

Blessings! marnie

Any ??? email me
pass it on
comment if you would like
past emails can be seen on www.comeinandrest.com look at the blog page.

No comments: