Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

"Look me in the eye!"

I wish I had a dime for each time I have done this with my children...or other little people for that matter.

It is important.

With the little ones you should either set them up on the counter or get down on your knees...either way when you want to communicate something...Look them in the eye.

Can you imagine how awful it must be to look at knees and hips all day long. Hearing a voice that is coming from so far away. Wondering if it is you they are talking too?

We tend to get upset when we are ignored by our children but I'm not sure that they are always catching our "call". They just may not be on your "wave" length.

Get on your children's level and make eye contact....from the youngest to the oldest..it will make a difference.

and while I'm "here" you should stop what you are doing and listen when your child (or anyone else for that matter) talks to you. I have too often continued on with my busyness... even walking away, while saying "keep talking, I'm listening I just need to get another gallon of milk" Ouch that one stung me!
It is called respect and we all like it.

(This works great for husbands too!:))

Blessings!
Marnie

No comments: