Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 20, 2011

STL #2 (Speaking their language)

More thoughts on this subject.

I remember, at the conference, thinking that I did not know what my "language" was. I honestly was lost...I started then thinking about what I "do". Knowing that I tend to cook, clean etc etc with my children and loved ones in mine I realized I am definately an Acts of Service person. As soon as I actively thought about it I realized YES! That also was my personal love language. Ex: When my children came to do my fall yard work it blessed me for MONTHS!!

Later that afternoon, after arriving home, I sat down with my 16 yr old daughter (the youngest) and our exchange daughter also the same age. We talked about the subject at hand and while our Korean had to think about it for a bit, my daughter immediately teared up and said "I know what mine is and I dont get it very often" OHOH I braced myself for her admission and heard her say "I love words of affirmation" Ugh...Is this a strong point of mine....NO!

I took a deep breath and readily admitted, although I was not making excuses for myself, the family I grew up in did not make a habit of verbally "patting us on the back" You set the table etc etc because it was your job..period..and you did not expect to be affirmed. I explained that I felt I had good parents and came from a good home but it simply was not the habit...something natural. BUT was it something that I could now change!! WHY CERTAINLY!

Was it too great a cost to be able to fill my daughter's "love tank" with affirmation? No ...do I have to remind myself on a regular basis? YES! Practice makes perfect they say and practice also makes it easier to be more intentional.

SO Study your "subjects" hard and long. Ask questions. Try out a few things. I'm sure at least one thing is going to surface if not a couple. Ask the Lord for creative thinking and things will begin to change in the arena where you live!

If you have questions about this subject I would be more than happy to dialog with you.

No comments: