Total Pageviews

Monday, May 9, 2011

The Big Black Box

A reader writes:
 I wanted to ask you about the television.  OK, so I know to limit the television at all costs. I also know the recommendations of the professionals (no TV before age 2 and then after limit to 1-2 hrs.) However, I find there are a couple times during the day, that I don't know what else to do. First thing in the morning, when we are still waking up (7-8am) and usually after nap time, when she is still fussing from waking up, wants cuddle time, and we need a quiet thing to do to not wake up the others. So I can hear myself and think..well reading. And we do that ALOT. I guess these are the times when I'm tired too and just need that quiet/nothing activity. This sounds selfish. But the reality of life is that these times happen. What do you think? 


Thanks for the question!   Remembering those days I used to love the times that Sesame Street would come on.  Like you we had a scheduled time of TV.  It seemed like during the winter it was on a little more and in the summer much less especially as the children grew and could play outdoors.


My word on the whole subject is just be careful. 
 I know many people who have the TV on all day just for the noise.  Personally because I rarely watch anything anymore that is just what it is to me  NOISE!!
There are some great learning videos for babies and toddlers.  Ask around, google and check out the library.  These really can aid in their learning.   I honestly think that the issue here is unsupervised TV where the child is just "Vegging" in front of the screen doing nothing   NO.... use the TV for your own purposes..don't let it take control of your family.


Hope that this helps
Blessings!

No comments: