Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Very Bad Day ~

One day, years ago, one of my sons (maybe around 10 years old) got up not feel well and we decided that he would stay home from school. Now mind you this did not easily fit in with my plans. Being a mom who tended to run a "tight ship" I did not like situations that were not "planned for" (believe me when I tell you that 12 children eventually BEAT that out of me) I sent him upstairs to go back to bed and continued on with the smaller children around me.


As I remember about lunch time he came down stairs and told me he was feeling better.
WHAT?! FEELING BETTER?!
I was just getting ready to put the little ones in for their naps and now this?! Well let's just say I did not take this "good news" very well. It was not fitting in with my plan. I was going to have an hour or 2 to have some quiet and now I had someone who was going to be "in the way".

(UGH This is making me nauseous just writing it !)

I was at the sink and I began (loudly)..."You're feeling better???? What was this a ploy to just stay out of school? Well, perhaps you should do some chores for me now that you are well...." (does this sound like a scene from Mommy Dearest?) All the while that my mouth was yapping I sensed a quiet urging in my spirit to stop...Did I? No I was on a roll....

and then ...God is His infinite mercy (to me and my son) gripped me.

My son had gone to his room when I called him back downstairs. When he got back to the kitchen I asked him to please go back out of the room and then come back again and say the first words that he had said in the beginning. "Mom, I'm feeling better"

Now the poor child, I'm sure, was thinking that this was some satanic ritual that I wanted to subject him to again and as he looked at me sheepishly puzzled I said "please just do as I say".

I'm sure, not wanting to be subjected to any further wrath, he silently went out of the room only to come back as I had asked him to.
"Mom, I'm feeling better." I sensed a cower.

" Son", I said, "You are ?! You re really feeling better? Oh that is wonderful news! Thank the Lord." "Let me put the babies in for their naps and we will have some lunch and spend some time together. ..maybe some cards or a board game."

He stared at me as if I had lost my mind and I proceeded to hug him and repent. "I'm so sorry for how I reacted to you. I have NO excuse....Will you please forgive me" Again ,I'm so sorry"

Is there any wonder that it is a miracle that any of our children grow up to be good responsible human beings? (Perhaps I should just say "my children")

If you ever find that you have "gone off the deep end", have spoken unkind and harsh words, have punished too quickly, have reacted rather than responded ~ Repent. Ask for forgiveness. Our children seem to forgive so quickly and easily.
It's God's Grace ~ "His strength is made perfect in our weakness". 2 Corinthians 12:9

I am humbled that He has such patience with me.
Blessings!

No comments: