Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

waste not = waist ~ not!

OK  this may be a tad difficult but I want to look critically at your children.  Is anyone over or under weight?


I implore you  today to take hold of your child's health.  Begin to eat cleaner ~ you know...like REAL food.  Food that God made, not that that comes in little plastic wrappers and cardboard boxes..


Having raised a big family I did a ton of cooking and baking.  Just to put a meal on the table was a huge undertaking!. I scheduled a baking day where I would fill the cookie jar and a few other things plus restock the freezer with breakfast muffins, pancakes and french toast.  I found that this worked great as they could reach in and take something before school and I knew what was going into their bodies.  Now granted I was a stay at home mom but for those of you that work there are things that you can do as well that will help you as well as the kids.   Think through what your kids eat in a week.  A piece of fruit and some nuts should hold them over until dinner. Snacks need to be limited.


I made sure that there was ALWAYS a fruit bowl on the table;  apples, oranges, banana etc (whatever was in season) .  I found that if it was out and accessible it was eaten.  Our regime was a mid morning fruit and a mid afternoon fruit with a piece of candy after nap time....ONE piece of candy. 


With many families working, food has become more and more something to grab on the run.  I implore you to sit down over this weekend and write up a menu for the week. Hang it on the fridge.   Shop from the menu.  You will save money and have less waste.  I have a ton of menu ideas if you need them and would be happy to post some if there is interest.


Don't let your children have free reign of the cupboards and fridge. No more snacking in front of the screen. Kids need to be getting some fresh air and exercise during the day with less TV and video games. 


If your child has a weight problem  TAKE HOLD OF IT!  You are the one who shops and feeds them.   It is proven that overweight children will be obese adults.  Help them now, while they are young, to learn how to eat correctly.  


Again I know I am not asking you to do something that is pleasant but it IS NECESSARY!  Your child will thank you in the future!


Blessings!
www.comeinandrest.com

3 comments:

trying to write said...

Amen Marnie! Thank you for saying this! So important!

lindy joy nevi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lindy joy nevi said...

Thanks for sharing this. I reposted part of it in my online face book business page. I am a colon hydrotherapist and a wellness coach and I applaud you for teaching others how to plan ahead. Our children's colon's will thank you later for your effort in this. Go to www.healthypassages.com click on the fb icon and see the post. Thanks again.