Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Family Dinner Table

I have a VIVID memory of the family dinners my family shared while growing up. We sat together 6 nights a week, at least, at 5:30 sharp!


My dad was a dairy farmer and my mom a homemaker and it was understood by everyone that the table would be set and food served at that time. My mom always had a hearty meal prepared knowing that hunger would be present. The table ususally had a cloth or placemats with napkins folded under the forks. Ice in the glass of water satisfied your thirst. The salt, pepper and butter dish were there and many times a small bouquet from the gardens. Nothing fancy but good.



It is a good memory. People talked, laughed, shared and enjoyed the food. It was often that one of my dad's many friends would "drop in" at that time and they would either join us or sit in my dad's easy chair and chat from the side. It was not strange at all. It was what we were used to.



My mom's meals were rather simple with potatoes, a meat and vegetable. Often fresh bread in a basket was present and ALWAYS a dessert of pie, pudding, cake, cookies, and the list goes on.



Although the food was hearty and delicious it is the feeling of family that rises to the top of my mind. Presence. Tradition. Normalcy. "It's all right with the world" kind of feeling. When I married and had a family of my own it was not even a question as to how "supper" would look. Of course..the same as it had always been!



I have a memory of my daughter coming home from highschool, not that many years ago, telling about the show of hands that the teacher asked for as to how many ate together. She was the only hand raised in that whole class! We were amazed. She would often say "My friend wants to come to dinner sometime," Seemed odd to us.



What's your memory? Good or bad I'm sure that you have one. I want to remind you that you can make any kind of memory that you would like. Begin now. Talk to your husband, figure out what you would like your family to "look" like. Decide what is important and what is not. Ask friends, watch families that you admire...you will see things that you would like to emulate I'm sure.



DO IT! It's an important part of family that has become almost non existent in this century.



Please contact me if you would like a list of menu ideas. I would be happy to speak to you about any of these topics!



Blessings!

Marnie

No comments: