Total Pageviews

Monday, March 21, 2011

How to Eat an Elephant

....one bite at a time.

I remember those days:  27 loads of laundry a week, 13 beds to strip and make,  3 army-sized meals a day.  Seems like a dream...or should I say nightmare!
Look around.... are you overwhelmed?  Is the kitchen a mess?   Laundry multiplying?   Cupboards bare? 

In the realm of parenting it does not take much to fall behind.  A sick child,  a visit from a friend or family, a holiday, just about anything can upset the apple cart.
All of a sudden, without warning, you look around and your house looks like a battle field.  I have shared before about how I would plead with God, from my bedroom, not to make me "go out there".   

 The words that HE gave me to walk by at that time were  "JUST START."
That was something that I could do. 

Don't get overwhelmed.  Keep your focus.
When the children were little I would sometimes call out colors of things to pick up in order to focus the children.  I tried to give small and concise chores that could be done in a short amount of time. 
"Go pick up the yard." and  "Clean your room"  are often just too broad for a child, never mind an adult, to get their heads around.. 
They need a boundary.   "John, go in and pick up all your clothes from the floor and put them onto  your bed.  Now put all the books away.  Match all your shoes and put them in your closet. etc etc"  You get the idea.
This works on every area.    The garage a mess?  Start with taking out all the trash and cleaning off the work bench.  The laundry room a wreck?  Sort the clothes in piles and start the machines,  use a timer to stay on task.   Front yard littered with trash uncovered by the melting snow?  See how much you can pick up in 15 minutes.    
Just take a bite and then another one.  It does not have to all get done today but you will be surprised what kind of dent you can make by just starting!


Blessings, 

No comments: