Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Happy Chair**

Jayne is in the happy chair again! 5 times in less than half the hours. You are exhausted and it's barely 10 am. You just know that while she is squirming in that seat she is scheming her next onslaught!
How will you ever get through this day?

How I remember those days! Days that I would greet my husband's question of "How was your day" with "I've done nothing but spank bottoms all day!!" There are times when you can see in your child that nothing but an "encounter" is going to stop them. You try everything.... and it just does not seem to work.

Try this: Jayne has been sitting in the HC for about 5 mins. Go, take her by the hand, and bring her over to the rocker/chair/couch. Sit down and hold her on your lap. No need for words. Just hold her tightly and sit quietly. After 5 min. whisper a prayer over her and tell her how much you love her. Turn her around and look her in the eyes. Push back her hair and tell her how you need her to be a good girl today as you have many things to do. Tell her some of what the day is going to hold.

"Father , thank you for my sweet little girl, I thank You that You gave her to me and have blessed me so much. Lord I ask that You will help Jayne to obey mommy today. Help her to get along with her brother and not to throw anymore toys. Lord we need your grace."

"Jayne, I love you honey. Today is a big day. I need you to play while I finish washing the dishes and putting the clothes away. Can you do that for me? Maybe you can help me put away the spoons! After mommy gets done we are going to run an errand for Daddy and then we will come home and have some lunch...What do you thing you would like? Peanut butter and jelly? Grilled cheese? Maybe you will be able to have a popsicle after if you are real good! Then I will read you a story and you will have your nap. Later we can take the dog for a little walk before supper!"

Children usually will respond really well and can be taken off their "destructive" path with just a 5-10 minute intervention. I hope that you are able to get the "gist" of my talk with Jayne. Take a few minutes for a hug and snuggle. This can go a l o n g way in satisfying a child's needs for security, attention and boundaries!

You're doing a good job!
Blessings!

The Happy Chair is the chair I have and have had in my home where you sit "till you get happy"! (The time out chair)

No comments: